<p>Jon Horford dunks during Florida's overtime win against Louisiana Monroe</p>

Jon Horford dunks during Florida's overtime win against Louisiana Monroe

Florida’s trip to Paradise Island was far from a holiday in the sun.

The Gators traveled to the Bahamas on Monday Nov. 24 with a 2-1 record and No. 18 ranking, a granted slip from the No. 8 spot the Gators had owned the week before.

Now, Billy Donovan’s Gators have a 3-3 record and are unranked for the first time since Jan. 31, 2011.

Florida has endured some tough losses and equally tough wins this season. Florida’s three losses have come with a difference of just 14 points combined.

Strengths: Florida freshmen have made a surprisingly impactful debut. Devin Robinson and Chris Chiozza have combined for 232 minutes and 57 points.

The fresh meat have been a much needed spark for the young team. Robinson has appeared in the starting lineup twice and both have clocked minutes in every game so far.

Their most promising characteristic may be their lack of injury.

With two of Florida’s senior players sidelined with injuries at different points so far, Chiozza and Robinson provide reliability that Donovan’s roster lacks in other areas.

Weaknesses: Florida has consistently struggled in the second half of all six games played.

Donovan agrees that his team is struggling to put two complete 20 minute halves together and he believes this disconnect is mental and not a lack of knowledge or ability.

"We’re a team that kind of broke apart a little bit, not because of jealousy or bad chemistry or don’t like each other. They’re focused on themselves. That’s a dangerous recipe," Donovan said after Florida’s 69-67 loss to Miami on Nov. 17.

"If we would’ve played the first half and second half as kind of mirrored halves together and come up short, we would probably be evaluative of where we’ve got to get. "Right now for me, this is not even a basketball thing. It has nothing to do with basketball. This is much, much more of a mental issue in terms of them handling their own personal expectations."

Key Player: Jon Horford has proven his value and then some.

The transfer center from Michigan is averaging 10.3 points per game and has started all six games. With his first 175 minutes in a Florida uniform in the books, some Gator fans are seeing flashes of the greatness displayed by his brother, Al Horford—on Donovan’s 2004-2007 teams.

Like his brother, who ranks second in UF history in blocked shots, Horford leads this years’ team in blocking by a long shot.

Freshman Devin Robinson’s four are second to 6-foot-10 Horford’s 10 blocks.

With the graduation of Will Yeguete and Patric Young, Horford has stepped up to the plate in providing depth for Florida’s frontcourt.

Outlook: Six games in and already unranked, Florida has been slipping since the start of the season, but there are signs of better days ahead.

Friday night’s game against No. 11 Kansas (5-1) will be more crucial than initially anticipated as Florida balances a 3-3 record.

A road win over Kansas has the potential to provide Florida with some much-needed positive momentum. But a loss wouldn’t be the end all be all.

The Gators still have 25 games ahead of them and Southeastern Conference play is a month away.

Follow Erica Hernandez on Twitter @EricaAlyssa