<p><span>Kenny Boynton (1) attempts a shot during Florida’s 83-58 win against Mississippi State on Saturday.</span></p>
<div><span><br /></span></div>

Kenny Boynton (1) attempts a shot during Florida’s 83-58 win against Mississippi State on Saturday.

Since becoming Kentucky’s coach in 2009, John Calipari has dominated Florida. 

Calipari owns a 7-1 record against Florida coach Billy Donovan. The Gators went 0-3 against the Wildcats last season as UK cruised to win a nation title. 

“That’s really embarrassing to lose to a team three times in one year,” junior point guard Scottie Wilbekin said. “It’s always going to be in the back of our minds … but it’s a new year, and we’ve got things that we’re focused on this year. That’s to win [a Southeastern Conference] championship. In order to do that, we’ve got to beat them.”

When No. 7 Florida (19-3, 9-1 SEC) hosts No. 25 Kentucky (17-6, 8-2 SEC) at 7 p.m. in O’Connell Center, the Gators will face a Wildcats squad with new faces. Seven members of Calipari’s championship team bolted to the NBA or graduated. 

“Their team is different from a year ago,” Donovan said. “We’re not preparing for Anthony Davis or (Michael) Kidd-Gilchrist or (Doron) Lamb or (Marquis) Teague. We’re preparing for Nerlens Noel and (Kyle) Wiltjer and (Alex) Poythress, some very gifted, talented guys who have their own identity and play their own way.”

Kentucky began the season on a sour note, losing three of its first seven contests while Florida started 7-0. But UK has won five straight games and is sitting only one game behind UF in the conference standings. 

Noel is the NCAA’s leading shot-blocker with 4.5 per game. As an enforcer in the paint, the 6-foot-10 Noel averages a near double-double in points (10.6) and rebounds (9.6). The freshman center is not a proficient scorer like Davis, the consensus National Player of the Year in 2012, but defends with similar intensity. 

“I think he is just as good as Anthony Davis as a shot 

blocker,” Donovan said. “I don’t think there is any question about that. He has unbelievable length, has unbelievable timing. … He can alter shots from a lot of different directions and areas on the floor. I think we have to have a level of intelligence, and I think driving in there and trying to shoot over top of him is probably not a wise choice. But I still think we are a team that needs to attack.”

Kentucky’s big men will test the rebounding and defense of Florida’s frontcourt, which is already thin with junior forward Will Yeguete out for 4-6 weeks after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. 

The Wildcats bring big men in Wiltjer and 7-foot center Willie Cauley-Stein off the bench. The pair average a combined 19.4 points and 10.1 rebounds per contest. 

The 6-foot-7 Poythress could provide a matchup problem for guards Mike Rosario and Michael Frazier II if he shifts to small forward. 

“Across the front line, they’ve got a lot of different lineups they can play,” Donovan said. “Our hand is what it is, in terms of our frontcourt.”

Wildcats guards Archie Goodwin and Ryan Harrow tend to take quick shots in the half court but thrive in transition after forcing turnovers. Most of UK’s offense comes off ball screens and one-on-one penetration.

“They’re a good driving team,” senior guard Kenny Boynton said. “All of those guys, they get to the hole well. … We just have to stay in front of the ball.”

UK coach John Calipari reacts to a call during Florida’s 74-59 loss to Kentucky on March 4, 2012 in the O’Connell Center. Calipari is 7-1 against the Gators since he began his tenure with the Wildcats in 2009.