<p>Sophomore guard Jaterra Bonds (10) is shooting just 17 percent beyond the arc this season on 23 attempts.</p>

Sophomore guard Jaterra Bonds (10) is shooting just 17 percent beyond the arc this season on 23 attempts.

Beyond the arc has been a dark place at times for the Gators this season.

Florida struggled in its first four games, shooting just 21.9 percent from 3-point range. However, in the last three games, the Gators have made 19 of 46 threes, spearheaded by senior guard Jordan Jones’ 8-of-21 clip.

“Our mindset is always, ‘Get the ball inside and that’s eventually going to open up easy shots from the outside,’” Jones said.

Senior guard Lanita Bartley has played a role in Florida’s increased shooting success.

She has made 4 of 6 attempts from 3-point range and averaged 18.7 points in her last three games.

“That makes us really tough to guard when one of our best penetrators  is also knocking down shots behind the arc,” coach Amanda Butler said.

The Gators (6-1) started off the season aggressive from the 3-point line. Florida took 27 threes in a 69-66 season-opening loss to Michigan, converting on 10 of those attempts.

But sophomore guard Jaterra Bonds finished the game 1 of 6 from deep, and Jones missed her final six 3-point tries.

In the following wins against Stetson, Florida State and Hampton, UF made just 4 of 37 attempts from beyond the arc.

The Gators shot 1 of 10 against the Hatters, but Butler was encouraged by the shot selection and reduction in attempts from three.

The Gators attempted just three shots from beyond the arc in the second half after struggling to convert on seven long-range opportunities in the first 20 minutes.

“My shot feels really good,” said sophomore forward Lily Svete, who is 2-of-11 from beyond the arc this season. “I’m just trying to stay confident because I feel like it’s going to go in, so I guess I’m doing all I can do.”

Florida’s recent surge from 3-point range will need to continue if it wants to pull its second upset of a ranked opponent this season against No. 11 Rutgers (6-0) when the teams play Friday at 8 in Daytona Beach.

“None of us ever doubted that our threes were going to fall,” Butler said. “I give them credit for not hitting the panic button when those shots weren’t falling.”

Needles undergoes surgery: Freshman guard Carlie Needles had surgery Wednesday on a torn ACL and meniscus in her left knee.

Needles sustained the season-ending injury during an intra-squad scrimmage in practice Nov. 6.