<p>Tyler Murphy (3) attempts to scramble during Florida’s 34-17 loss to Vanderbilt on Saturday in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. The redshirt junior has a sprained shoulder.</p>

Tyler Murphy (3) attempts to scramble during Florida’s 34-17 loss to Vanderbilt on Saturday in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. The redshirt junior has a sprained shoulder.

With his team mired in a four-game losing streak and his own production lagging, Tyler Murphy could benefit from added time on the practice field.

Unfortunately for Florida’s redshirt junior quarterback, a nagging shoulder injury will prevent that from happening.

Murphy first suffered a sprained AC joint in his throwing shoulder during a loss to LSU on Oct. 12 and has dealt with lingering effects ever since. His status for Florida’s game against No. 10 South Carolina on Saturday at 7 p.m. remains uncertain.

“It’s just frustrating being banged up a little bit and having to sit out and try to get healthy,” said Murphy, who is not expected to return to practice until Wednesday. “I’m just going to live in the training room and get healthy and try to get back out there as soon as possible.”

Murphy’s tepid response to questions about his injury leaves the situation unclear. However, when asked if he would be able to play if the game against South Carolina were on Monday, he admitted the answer was “most likely not.”

“I’m not 100 percent sure,” Murphy said. “It’s more of a day-to-day thing. I’m just trying to get healthy so I can get back out there and I can try to contribute to help out this team.”

Much like the rest of the team, Murphy has struggled during Florida’s four-game slide toward the bottom of the Southeastern Conference Eastern Division.

After completing 72.2 percent of his passes with five touchdowns and just one interception during his first three games, Murphy has seen his production regress since Florida beat Arkansas on Oct. 5.

Murphy completed just 50.6 percent of his passes and threw no touchdowns in losses to LSU, Missouri and Georgia. Against Vanderbilt on Saturday, he threw for a career-high 305 yards on 30-of-46 passing but tossed three deflating interceptions that led to 21 points for the Commodores. He also lost a fumble with the Gators looking for points of their own prior to halftime.

“You can’t just turn over the football,” coach Will Muschamp said. “You spot a football team — any team — on the 4, twice on the 10 and on the 20-yard line, it’s a hard time. You can’t turn the ball over.”

Added Murphy: “Turning the ball over — especially interceptions — it makes it tough to sleep at night.”

At one point during the game, redshirt freshman Skyler Mornhinweg — who would likely start in Murphy’s place if he were unable to go this weekend — began warming up on the sideline in case he was needed.

Not unlike its quarterback, Florida’s offense is clearly laboring.

UF is last in the conference in total offense (335.7 yards per game) and 13th in scoring offense (20.6 points per game). Nationally, the Gators rank 112th and tied for 106th in those respective categories.

“We need to learn to overcome our circumstances, and that’s something we have a hard time doing as far as a slow start, a turnover and overcome those situations,” Muschamp said. “It’s my job to get it right, and that’s what we’re working on.”

Follow Phillip Heilman on Twitter @phillip_heilman.