McElwain: Average Florida offense “still not there”

<p dir="ltr"><span>Coach Jim McElwain speaks during a press conference on Aug. 3.</span></p>

Coach Jim McElwain speaks during a press conference on Aug. 3.

For about seven minutes, Florida football players listened as Steve Spurrier rehashed stories from his time at UF.

His was a career that included a Heisman trophy and a national championship.

Six Southeastern Conference titles and an SEC Player of the Year award.

One hundred and twenty-two wins, 27 losses and one tie.

“They drive by his statue, we play on his field,” coach Jim McElwain said. “Our guys understand.”

On Thursday, McElwain enlisted Spurrier’s help to ensure that Florida wouldn’t fall flat in its homecoming game against Missouri last Saturday.

With members of the 2006 National Championship team in attendance, UF won 40-14.

For many players, it was a statement game — they were coming off a week brimming with insults and accusations stemming from Florida’s postponed game against LSU on Oct. 8.

Florida coaches were said to have purposely dodged the matchup. Players were said to have been scared. Each denied those claims, scoffing at the notion that Florida would be afraid to play anybody in the nation.

McElwain even put out a statement on Oct. 13: “We will play anyone, anywhere, anytime,” McElwain said. “I think I’ve made that pretty clear. The Gators never run from anyone or dodge anyone.”

And while the Gators’ 26-point win over the Tigers was their largest since a 32-0 victory against North Texas on Sept. 17, McElwain still noticed areas for improvement.

On Monday, he specifically mentioned the offense’s struggles, a unit he called “very average” while lamenting the self-inflicted penalties that consumed many of its drives against Missouri. Florida was flagged for eight false starts, a season high.

“These guys gotta realize that they’ve got a chance to really be good,” McElwain said. “Overcoming the negative event or adversity or failure, that’s the key, right? And the great teams, they just clap it off and go win the next play. We’re still not there.”

McElwain pointed to quarterback Luke Del Rio as an example. In his return from an MCL injury, Del Rio threw for 236 yards, one touchdown and a season-high three interceptions.

“He was down on himself, and yet he shouldn’t be that down,” McElwain said. “He still played pretty darn good in some areas, and yet he knows he can play a little bit better.”

But while McElwain said he’s looking for improvement from the entire team heading into its bye week, he’s mostly satisfied with Florida’s position midway through the season.

“You know what, we’re 5-1,” McElwain said, “Last time I checked, that’s leading the East, and our guys are excited about it.”

McElwain praises defense:

While the offense received criticism, Florida’s coach had nothing but good things to say about his defense.

The unit ranks second in the nation in scoring defense with just 12 points allowed per game and is tied for fifth in the nation with 10 interceptions.

The two biggest highlights against Missouri came from cornerbacks Jalen Tabor and Quincy Wilson — both returned picks for touchdowns.

“They’re pretty darn good, and they’re a lot of fun to be around,” McElwain said. “We’ve got a ways (to go) on one side and yet the other side’s got it pretty well organized.”

What quarterback controversy?

When asked if McElwain ever considered splitting reps between Del Rio and backup quarterback Austin Appleby on Saturday, the coach quickly shot down the notion of a two-quarterback system.

“No,” McElwain said. “I thought it was good, you know. (Del Rio) was ready to go.”

Contact Ian Cohen at icohen@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @icohenb.