With time running out, UF defensive back wants to be great

<p>Safety Marcell Harris (26) tackles running back Mark Thompson during the Orange &amp; Blue Debut on April 8, 2016, at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.</p>

Safety Marcell Harris (26) tackles running back Mark Thompson during the Orange & Blue Debut on April 8, 2016, at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

The top two safeties in Florida’s 2013 recruiting class have taken strikingly different paths so far in their young careers.

One of them is Keanu Neal, who was rated as a four-star prospect out of South Sumter High School.

He was the No. 13-rated safety in the country according to the 24/7 Sports Composite, and last season, the junior led UF’s defensive backs in tackles before bolting for the NFL.

The Atlanta Falcons apparently liked his coverage skills and big-hit ability enough to select him with the 17th pick of the first round.

Then there’s Marcell Harris.

The Orlando native was rated ahead of Neal when the two were recruits — Harris was the No. 10 safety in the class.

But while Neal is off enjoying his $6 million signing bonus with the Falcons, Harris is entering his redshirt junior season with the Gators fighting for the starting spot Neal left behind.

But he said he isn’t worried about meeting or exceeding the expectations set by Neal, current teammate Marcus Maye or anyone else, even in his fourth year. He just wants to play football and be as good at it as possible.

“Pressure wise, I don’t try to put too much pressure on myself,” he said.

“Football is just a game… it’s something I love to do, so I come out here with a passion to be great.”

Being great is something Harris mentioned several times while speaking with reporters on Tuesday.

But how does he go about trying to be great?

First, he said, is digesting the teachings of his coaches, specifically those of defensive backs coach Torrian Gray.

Doing so means less miscommunications and better technique.

“He likes to break down film and he is a good guy to learn from honestly,” Harris said of Gray. “Breaking things down, working on technique, and doing the little things right it is all going to help us be a better unit.”

Next is working against a capable offense every day in practice.

Harris said there are constant trials from “shifty” players like slot receivers Dre Massey and Brandon Powell, pressure over the top from an improved passing game led by Luke Del Rio and a tackling test in 6-foot-2, 237-pounder running back Mark Thompson.

“He’s a real big guy,” Harris said of Thompson.

“Everybody knows he’s a big guy. And honestly, I feel like it helps us out as a defense tackling somebody big every day.”

But while those two aspects help, Harris gave a simple, one-word reply when asked what he’s trying to improve on this season.

Everything.

“I tried to hit on every point,” he said, “and I feel like it made me a lot better player.”

Time will tell if his work pays off with a starting role opposite presumed starter Marcus Maye, with fellow redshirt junior and former four-star recruit Nick Washington being Harris' main competition.

But Harris said he doesn’t fear a position battle, claiming the old cliche that it will only make him better.

Still, with time running out, he certainly wouldn’t mind coming out on top.

“I wanna be one of the best whoever played this game,” he said.

He added: “I waited for the opportunity, and once the opportunity hits, you have to make the best of whatever you get.”

Contact Ethan Bauer at ebauer@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @ebaueri.