Roundtable: What was the most memorable moment of the 2016 season?

<p>Austin Appleby, right, celebrates with Quincy Wilson after Florida's 16-10 win against LSU on Nov. 19, 2016, at Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. </p>

Austin Appleby, right, celebrates with Quincy Wilson after Florida's 16-10 win against LSU on Nov. 19, 2016, at Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. 

There you have it, Gators fans.

Save for an Outback Bowl matchup against Iowa next month, the 2016 season is in the books.

There were highs and lows, highlight plays and embarrassing flops, spectacular moments and spectacular letdowns.

Now, it’s time to reflect. What was the most memorable moment from the 2016 season?

Football writers Patrick Pinak, Ian Cohen, Jordan McPherson and Ethan Bauer debate.

Pinak: The goal-line stand

You remember it.

With the game, bragging rights and an SEC East title coming down to one play, Florida’s defense pounced on Derrius Guice at the goal line to stop LSU short in Death Valley.

One yank of Guice from safety Marcell Harris and another from defensive end Jordan Sherit, and the celebration was on.

Jalen Tabor performed fake snow angels in the end zone.

Antonio Callaway planted a Florida flag in the grass at Tiger Stadium.

And the rest of the Gators hugged each other and pranced around like children on Christmas morning.

The 2016 season won’t be remembered for the massacre that occurred in Atlanta this past weekend or for whatever happens in the Outback Bowl.

Instead, it’ll be the play that crowned UF SEC East champions for a second-straight year and put to rest any claims of being scared to relocate the game to Baton Rouge because of Hurricane Matthew.

It will be immortalized in Florida history.

While there were no shortage of quotes following the game, Quincy Wilson may have summed up the contest best. The cornerback ignited a pre-game scuffle with an LSU player to add even more hype.

“This wasn’t a regular game,” Wilson said.

“They tested our manhood and we responded.”

And for the junior who will likely declare for the NFL Draft, there was no question it was his favorite win as a Gator — a sentiment many of his teammates likely agree with.

“Yeah,” he said. “You can say that.”

Cohen: The most surprising series of the season

For five minutes and nine seconds, there was hope.

Florida got the ball first to start the SEC Championship Game against No. 1 Alabama on Saturday, concocting a 10-play, 64-yard drive that made everyone in the stadium question what the hell they were watching.

Florida converted three third downs, quarterback Austin Appleby completed 6-of-7 passes and the Crimson Tide’s secondary looked lost against the Gators, the nation’s 110th-ranked scoring offense.

The drive ended in a touchdown, the first one Alabama had given up since Oct. 22, and for a brief period of time in Atlanta, no one had an answer. The 24-point favorite with future NFL players riddled across its roster was losing to No. 15 Florida.

Up was down.

Down was up.

A pig flew across the field just beneath the roof of the Georgia Dome.

The Gators were going to win. The Gators were going to unseat the Crimson Tide. The Gators were going to win the next 12 national championships, Jim McElwain would be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in the year 2035 and Alabama coach Nick Saban’s career would begin a downward spiral that would leave him pleading at McElwain’s feet, begging for a position as a UF waterboy within five years.

And then Austin Appleby happened.

He threw a pick on UF's next drive, and Alabama eventually destroyed the Gators’ hopes and dreams with a 38-point win.

No hall of fame for McElwain.

But still, Gators fans, how euphoric did those five minutes and nine seconds feel?

McPherson: Appleby to Cleveland

When Austin Appleby missed his first deep-pass attempt to Tyrie Cleveland against LSU, the freshman receiver walked up to his quarterback on the sideline.

“This guy cannot hang with me,” Cleveland told him.

So in the third quarter, when Appleby took the snap from center T.J. McCoy and dropped five steps into his own end zone, he knew where to go.

Appleby looked to his right before firing a pass downfield to Cleveland, who hauled in the catch about 30 yards from the line of scrimmage, shook off defensive back Donte Jackson and was off to the races.

One play, 98 yards, touchdown.

The play gave the Gators a 10-7 lead in the third quarter and put a raucous Death Valley crowd of 102,043 into a deathly silence.

It was a rare explosive play from Florida’s offense, but it was just enough to spark the Gators in their 16-10 win over the Tigers to clinch the SEC East.

It’s a play that went down in the record books, too.

The catch-and-run was the longest play from scrimmage in Tiger Stadium history and the second-longest passing touchdown in Florida history.

The first? A 99-yard pass from Cris Collinsworth — yes, the former UF receiver and current sportscaster — to Derrick Gaffney.

“That’s pretty wild,” Appleby said.

Bauer: Title bound at Tennessee

For one half of football, Florida looked poised to make an appearance in the College Football Playoff.

Filling in for the injured Luke Del Rio, quarterback Austin Appleby was slinging the ball up and down the field against the No. 14 Tennessee Volunteers on Sept. 24, carrying a 21-3 lead into halftime. The undefeated No. 19 Gators looked dominant, and it felt extra sweet given the opponent.

Earlier in the week, UF cornerback Quincy Wilson had taunted Tennessee, which hadn’t beaten the Gators in 11 years.

He asked if “a duck (Tennessee) could pull a truck (Florida),” to which the answer was, supposedly, no.

It certainly looked that way in the first half.

But as was well documented after the game, the Gators imploded in the second half, conceding five touchdowns to the frenzied Volunteers.

Still, for that first half, Florida fans were ecstatic. Not only was their team stomping a rival, but the Gators were undefeated heading into another road contest with Vanderbilt.

It may not have the dramatics of a goal-line stand or the theatrics of a 98-yard touchdown pass to win the SEC East, but it did have the bonus of having everything to play for.

Although, let’s be real, I picked this because the two LSU moments were already taken.