<p>Running backs coach Brian White hugs sophomore running back Mark Herndon during Tuesday's practice at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Florida put Herndon and fifth-year safety Tim Clark, both previously walk-ons, on full scholarship Tuesday.</p>

Running backs coach Brian White hugs sophomore running back Mark Herndon during Tuesday's practice at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Florida put Herndon and fifth-year safety Tim Clark, both previously walk-ons, on full scholarship Tuesday.

As a walk-on freshman running back in 2012, Mark Herndon went to bed hungry many nights.

Without a scholarship, and coming from a family who he says struggles financially, Herndon survived on Pop Tarts and Ramen Noodles last season.

But he will no longer have to wonder where his next meal is coming from. Herndon was one of two Gators who was awarded a scholarship following practice Tuesday afternoon. He can now eat with the rest of the team.

“It brought tears to my eyes,” Herndon said. “The first thing I did was call my mom and tell her. She was ecstatic about it.”

Tim Clark, a safety who is entering his fifth season, had his scholarship renewed for a third season.

“I thought that said a lot about our coaches for honoring that commitment to me,” Clark said. “It’s really been a blessing.”

Herndon, who is an Ocala native, does not fit the typical mold of a walk-on finally earning a scholarship. He played in six games last season, mostly on special teams, but could be counted on even more early in the season.

Starting running back Matt Jones battled a serious viral infection in the offseason and has not practiced with the team. For as long as Jones remains out, Herndon will be the No. 2 running back behind Mack Brown.

“Me and Matt are teammates, so we talk and hang out,” Herndon said. “I was sad, but if he’s down, I gotta step up because the team needs me. That’s what I did.”

Florida now has 83 scholarship players on the roster. The NCAA limit is 85.

Ball moving outside: Neiron Ball has had a tumultuous past two seasons.

In 2011, he was diagnosed with an arteriovenous malformation (AVM), a congenital condition that led to the tangling of blood vessels in his brain. He returned last season but was bothered by an ankle injury while adjusting to being back on the field.

Now healthy, Ball will be a critical piece in Florida’s defense at a new position. After playing primarily inside during the past two seasons, Ball will be the starting Will linebacker, a position most recently filled by Jelani Jenkins.

Ball will have extensive coverage responsibilities, a role he is confident he can fill.

“I actually like [the Will linebacker spot] better than the Sam position,” Ball said. “I feel like it fits me because I get to move around a lot more, and I can use my speed a lot more.”

According to coach Will Muschamp, Mike Taylor (Mike linebacker) and Ronald Powell (Sam linebacker) will join Ball in the starting linebacker rotation until Antonio Morrison returns from suspension.

Showers running: Even with Jones currently unavailable at running back, it would appear the Gators have good depth at the position. Valdez Showers, who switched positions from safety to running back this offseason, is the team’s No. 3 tailback with Jones out.

When asked about the running back totem pole on Monday, Muschamp said Showers was ahead of highly touted freshmen Kelvin Taylor and Adam Lane, who have each struggled with ball security and pass protection.

Showers is behind Brown and Herndon on the depth chart.

“He’s got great top-end speed,” Muschamp said of Showers. “He’s got really good ball skills. He can do a lot of different things for us as far as lining up at receiver (and) lining up in the backfield.”

Contact Phil Heilman at pheilman@alligator.org.