<p>Sophomore running back Adarius Lemons was one of several players subjected to a heavy workload during Florida's practice on Tuesday. </p>

Sophomore running back Adarius Lemons was one of several players subjected to a heavy workload during Florida's practice on Tuesday. 

Armored in their bulky pads, Florida’s football players ran sideline to sideline at the Sanders Practice Field on Tuesday afternoon. One of the bodies charging across the grass wasn’t wearing a helmet, however.

Instead, he was wearing a visor — his staple.

Coach Dan Mullen­ joined his team in the sprints after several of his players were late to class earlier in the week, which resulted in the entire roster having to run as punishment.

“I don’t control that,” Mullen said. “If they don’t want to run gassers, then show up on time for class.”

Obviously, Mullen wasn’t late for class. And neither were the majority of the players. But accountability has been a major focus as Mullen and the entirely new coaching staff begin to install their system. They want to ensure the standard of Florida football is upheld, a task that requires the commitment of every player and coach.

“I’m part of the team,” Mullen said. “If we make mistakes, we’re all going to pay the price.”

Mullen expects each player on the roster to understand their role. If they fail to fulfill it on or off the field, the team will suffer.

After only three practices — including just one in pads — the Gators are still covering the basics.

“We just got to get fundamentals down,” said John Hevesy, UF’s co-offensive coordinator and offensive line coach. “Fundamentals are foundations.”

Considering Florida finished last season as one of the three most penalized teams in the SEC, mastering the fundamentals seems like an appropriate first step.

Hevesy attributes penalties, specifically false starts, to insufficient focus and a lack of discipline. His goal is to establish strong habits early so that by August, technically-sound football will be second nature.

As part of their crusade to fundamental excellence, the coaches have attacked every mistake made in prac­­­­tice.

On Tuesday, running back Adarius Lemons failed to complete an agility drill on consecutive attempts. Assistant coach Greg Knox immediately barked at Lemons and instructed him to perform a series of “up-downs,” which — as the name suggests — required Lemons to repeatedly jump up to a standing position after dropping face-down to the ground.  

At the same practice, after every player completed the gassers and most had returned to the locker room, Hevesy held behind a handful of players to perform what he called a “three-legged dog.” These players crawled up and down the field on two hands and one foot to wrap up their over three-hour practice.

With its detail-oriented approach, the coaching staff understands the finished product lies far ahead. Even before the spring game on April 14, the Gators have plenty of work to do.

“Rome wasn’t built in a day,” Hevesy said. “We got a w­­­­­­­ays to go.”

Follow Benjamin Brandt on Twitter @bhb1227 and contact him at bbrandt@alligator.org.