<p><span>Guard Andrew Nembhard went 4-for-8 from the field with 12 points and four assists in 34 minutes against FSU. </span></p>

Guard Andrew Nembhard went 4-for-8 from the field with 12 points and four assists in 34 minutes against FSU. 

t’s been a while since the Florida Gators last beat the Florida State Seminoles in basketball.

It was 1,803 days, to be exact, before the two teams faced off last night.

Today, it was 1,804.

Florida was embarrassed by the Noles 81-60 in the first game of the college basketball regular season in front of a raucous crowd in Tallahassee, Florida, Tuesday night.

Game Summary

The Gators were plagued by first-half shooting woes. The basket looked about as small as UCF’s chances at making the College Football Playoff, as UF went 6-for-25 in the frame. That’s 24 percent for all you non-math majors out there.

But FSU kept the Gators in the game, as it went only 8-for-21 (38.1 percent) in the half, and the score was 31-20 at the break.

Then the Noles opened the second half on an 8-2 run and the route was on.

Before UF could even catch its breath, it was 50-26 with just under 14 minutes left.

Then it was 72-39 with just under six to play.

Finally, the bloodbath was over.

Not only could the Gators not buy a bucket in the first half, but it was much of the same in the second. They ended the night shooting 20-for-54 (6-for-24 from three), a horrific 37 percent shooting percentage.

FSU was absolutely unconscious from three in the second half, shooting an absurd 7-for-14 clip in the frame.

Guard P.J. Savoy led the charge with 20 points on 5-for-7 shooting, and guard Trent Forrest chipped in 13, going 6-for-6 from the free-throw line.

The Noles went 23-for-48 as a team, good enough for a 47.9 shooting percentage.

Instant Analysis

If you’re a Florida fan, it’s probably been tough dealing with your Florida State counterparts. The loss yesterday marks five straight contests in which the Gators lost in basketball while also losing the last five in football.

And this one wasn’t just ugly, it was downright embarrassing.

Although Florida’s shot selection was atrocious, it didn’t help itself create shots. The team ended with nine assists totaled by just five players. Two of those came in garbage time with under a minute to go.

UF was outperformed in just about every aspect of the game. It was outrebounded 33 to 30, its shot selection was poor (which led to its horrific shooting percentage), it was out-hustled, and it looked absolutely overwhelmed by a relentless Seminole attack.

Above all, the team didn’t find a leader when it desperately needed one. When the bleeding needed to be stopped, no member of the squad served as a bandage.

It would be hard to pick out the best player from the night for the team. Perhaps forward Deaundrae Ballard, who closed with 13 points on 5-for-9 shooting, but didn’t notch a rebound or an assist.

Guard Jalen Hudson dropped 11 points, but on just 3-for-10 (1-for-5 from three) shooting.

Point guard Andrew Nembhard drew the start and tallied 12 points and a team-high 4 assists.

Guard KeVaughn Allen, one of Florida’s leaders according to Mike White, failed to record a single bucket in the contest, going 0-for-4.

Follow Chris O'Brien on Twitter @THEChrisOB or contact him at cobrien@alligator.org.