<p>UF pitcher Aleshia Ocasio throws a pitch during Florida's 9-3 win against Northwestern State on Feb. 17, 2017, at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.&nbsp;</p>

UF pitcher Aleshia Ocasio throws a pitch during Florida's 9-3 win against Northwestern State on Feb. 17, 2017, at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium. 

One day removed from suffering its first loss of the 2017 season, the Florida softball team entered its Aquafina Invitational finale looking for a strong performance against Florida International.

The bottom of the first, two outs and the bases loaded set the scene as freshman third baseman Jaimie Hoover stepped up to bat.

Panthers freshman pitcher Shannon Saile tossed a fastball that caught the top of the bat just right.

Hoover had a second career grand slam that sailed over center field and nearly rolled into Museum Road.

“Two grand slams in her first at-bats in games,” coach Tim Walton said. “A lot of kids don’t hit that many grand slams in their life, let alone two in a week.”

Hoover shouldered the offensive load for Florida, and Kelly Barnhill had another solid performance on the mound as the Gators (10-1) shut out the Golden Panthers (8-3) 5-0.

In nine games of action, Hoover has been featured heavily on both offense and defense. The transition from high school to college play looks smooth for her, but she believes that isn’t the case.

“It didn’t just click,” Hoover said. “We do the same stuff every day, and repetition really helps out a lot.”

Apart from the first-inning grand slam, Florida’s offense didn’t do much. The group was held in check by Saile until the seventh inning, when junior first baseman Kayli Kvistad whacked a double to left field to bring home senior Justine McLean.

Barnhill gathered her fourth victory on the year after striking out 12 in 5 and 2/3 innings pitched.

In five appearances this year, Barnhill has allowed one earned run and has a team-low ERA of 0.27.

The win softened the blow of Florida’s low point on the weekend, as it suffered a 4-2 defeat at the hands of a previously winless Maryland team.

“No matter what a team’s rank, no matter what a team’s record is, anybody can beat you at any given time,” Walton said. “The kids say ‘Aw, it’s coach talk’ – it’s not coach talk. We have to play well… hopefully we can learn from that game.”

The Gators responded well after the defeat, outscoring their next two opponents by a combined 15-0.

“The loss was tough,” Hoover said. “But I think we bounced back well.”

Florida has a few days rest before the Citrus Classic tournament in Orlando. The Gators start out their five-game weekend on Friday against the Syracuse Orange. First pitch is set for 1:15 p.m.

Contact Skyler Lebron at Slebron@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @SkylerLebron.