Florida suffers shutout to Alabama in last game of series

Alabama held Florida to just five hits through seven innings

Florida softball freshman right-handed pitcher Keagan Rothrock pitches the ball in the Gators' loss to Oklahoma State on Monday, February 19, 2024.

Coming into the game against Alabama, Monday night, Florida looked to clinch the weekend series with a sweep. Despite back-to-back victories, the Crimson Tide defense kept the Gators off the scoreboard.

No. 13 Gators softball (21-4, 2-1 SEC) fell to the No. 11 Alabama Crimson Tide (20-2, 1-2 SEC) 3-0 in the final game of the SEC series weekend.

Freshman right-handed pitcher Keagan Rothrock started in the circle for her second time in the series, but she had trouble finding early success. Alabama came out strong offensively in the bottom half of the first with three singles.

With two runners on base and one out, Alabama sophomore catcher Marlie Giles delivered a one-run single down center field to put the first run on the scoreboard.

Florida went down in order 1-2-3 through the first three innings.

At the bottom of the third, Alabama continued the offensive momentum and smashed a double to the center field wall. UF junior center fielder Kendra Falby reached for the ball but dropped it when she met the wall.

Freshman third baseman Ariel Kowalewski extended a diving catch in foul territory down the third base line to steal the second out. Rothrock then capped the inning with her first strikeout of the game.

Redshirt senior shortstop Skylar Wallace, sophomore catcher Jocelyn Erickson and Falby threatened the Crimson Tide with single hits at the top of the fourth. However, Alabama worked itself out of the jam with a double play.

Alabama senior third baseman Bailey Dowling extended the Crimson Tide’s lead to 2-0 with a solo home run shot, but Rothrock and the Gators’ defense retired the fourth inning with a flyout and two ground outs.

Rothrock delivered a pair of strikeouts to strand a runner at first in the bottom of the fifth. Despite that Alabama earned a run in the sixth to stretch its lead to 3-0.

Down the last inning stretch, Erickson delivered a leadoff single to center field. Freshman pitcher Ava Brown then singled through to left field, and Alabama responded with a double play.

Florida had the opportunity to score with the bases loaded from back-to-back walks. However, graduate student right-handed pitcher Kayla Beaver ended the frame with a strikeout to shutout the Gators. 

Next, the Gators will host the Stetson Hatters on Wednesday in the Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium. First pitch is set for 6 p.m.

Contact Hailey Hurst at hhurst@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @haileyjhurst.

Hailey Hurst

Hailey Hurst is a second-year journalism major with a focus in sports media and a sports reporter for The Alligator. In her free time, she enjoys going to the beach and cheering for Miami sports teams.