<p>Carli Snyder awaits a play during Florida's 3-1 win against Miami in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday in the O'Connell Center.</p>

Carli Snyder awaits a play during Florida's 3-1 win against Miami in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday in the O'Connell Center.

Volleyball isn’t big in Macomb, Michigan.

And Carli Snyder was just fine with that.

There was no pressure, no overly high expectations and no limitations on how much playing time.

"I didn’t win a national championship. I never played on like the highest of highest levels," Snyder said. "But it was fun and something that kept me in love with the game."

But when the offer to playing volleyball at Florida came around — a stark contrast from her hometown in Michigan — Snyder couldn’t turn it down.

The adventure, the opportunity to move halfway across the country to play the sport she loves, the chance to play under Mary Wise, was too good to pass up.

"I just wanted to try something new and go to school with a great volleyball program, great coach and a great legacy," Snyder said. "It seemed like the perfect fit."

Now she’s playing at the highest collegiate level.

And with her sophomore season with the No. 4 Gators starting Saturday, the outside hitter is on the inside track for a breakout year.

As a freshman, Snyder led UF’s outside hitters in sets played (95), total kills (194) and digs (47) while also recording a .231 hitting efficiency.

She had moments of success that shined brighter than her goldenrod hair, such as an 18-kill performance in UF’s 3-1 loss to Texas early in her freshman year and a block in Florida’s NCAA Tournament match against Miami, a block that shifted the momentum in the Gators’ favor.

She’s tasted victory, helping the Gators go undefeated in the Southeastern Conference and advance to the Elite Eight for the first time since 2011.

Working under Wise — arguably one of the best coaches in Division I women’s volleyball history — has only made her better, she said.

"I forget how successful she is sometimes because she’s my coach," Snyder said. "I see her everyday. People in Michigan ask me ‘Can you get me Mary’s autograph?’ You forget how big of a deal she is."

With a year of experience under her belt, Snyder is ready to prove that she can be more consistent during her time on the court.

"I know my teammates better. I know the coaches better. I know myself as a volleyball player better," she said, "so taking all the skills I had last year, hopefully I’ll see the improvement on the court."

Come Saturday, the adventure will resume.

"It’s amazing playing for a program with such a legacy of winning," Snyder said.

"I couldn’t imagine being anywhere else."

Follow Jordan McPherson on Twitter @J_McPherson1126