Award season mini calendar
Award season mini calendar

The 54th-annual GRAMMY Awards will air Feb. 12 at 8 p.m., and there are a few folks who will, without a doubt, be bringing home those shiny golden gramophones.

A change of pace from the Golden Globes, the most recently aired of the major awards shows, the GRAMMYs will be honoring the best in music.

Predicting who will win is a tough feat, especially with the variety in nominees and the great talent displayed by all of them. Nevertheless, it's worth a shot.

The competition for Record of the Year is tight. A majority of the nominees have already experienced success at the GRAMMYs; there are a few newcomers who could steal the show.

Adele, a previous winner in the Best New Artist category, is nominated for her major hit "Rolling in the Deep." Katy Perry, who has previously been nominated for six GRAMMYs but has yet to win, is nominated for "Firework." Bruno Mars, who won Best Male Pop Vocal Performance at last year's GRAMMYs, hopes to bring another gramophone home with "Grenade." Newcomers Mumford & Sons, who memorably performed with Bob Dylan at last year's GRAMMY Awards, are nominated for their hit track "The Cave." Underdog of the group, Bon Iver, is in the running with his record "Holocene."

Bon Iver is also nominated for Best New Artist, Best Alternative Album and Song of the Year for "Holocene." Bon Iver, which is Vermont-native Justin Vernon's stage name, is not necessarily a "new artist," though his latest self-titled, critically acclaimed album is only his second. His first album, "For Emma, Forever Ago," released independently in 2007, exposed the world to Vernon's heart as heard through his intricate melodies and poetic lyrics. His second album, more on the experimental side of indie sound, is a beautiful achievement of words and sounds. His lyrics and the accompanying music can each stand alone and be equally admired for their artistic wonders. If one prediction can be taken away from this, it is that Vernon will not be leaving the Staples Center without a GRAMMY in hand on Feb. 12.

The Best New Artist category has stirred up a bit of controversy due to its list of nominees. The nominees for the career-making award include: The Band Perry, Bon Iver, J. Cole, Nicki Minaj and Skrillex. The last name on this list may be unfamiliar. Skrillex, the stage name for Sonny John Moore, is an electronic music producer. The argument is that being a producer does not mean you are a performer, but Skrillex is an artist; therefore, his nomination for Best New Artist stands. The possibility of him winning is a whole other story.

So far, performances by the Foo Fighters, Bruno Mars, Nicki Minaj and Taylor Swift have been confirmed, though a few surprise acts are likely to take the stage on Feb. 12.

After all, what would an awards show at the Staples Center be without a couple of unexpected moments and pleasant surprises?