On Feb.19, :08 nightclub will host a free alternative to music festivals like Bonnaroo, Coachella and SXSW for Gainesville music enthusiasts.

Dante Lima, Jose Peruyero and Marshal Patrick first organized the AM/FM Music Showcase in 2010 to show their appreciation for a city that always supports its local bands.

In its fourth installment, AM/FM is offering an eclectic mix of more than 17 acts spanning rock, blues, folk, hip-hop, experimental and indie genres.

As longtime members of the Gainesville music scene, all three organizers understand the difficulties of gaining a following in a college town.

"It's hard to get exposure when you're fighting uphill against football and parties," Lima said.

"So we figured a one-day festival was the best way to go."

Beginning at 3:30 p.m., bands will perform 25-minute sets, alternating between two stages.

This year's showcase will feature acts that have never performed in the showcase, such as Annie and the Canyon, plus a slew of familiar faces including Pseudo Kids, Greenland is Melting, Mindrise, Darkhorse and hip-hop artist D.P.

With AM/FM co-organizer Lima on bass, the Pseudo Kids have released two EPs and one full-length, self-titled album that they plan to follow up with an EP in March.

Vocalist Scott Kauffmann paints daunting portrayals of someone dealing with abandonment and alcohol dependency over instrumentals fit for dancing and parties on the beach.

The combination gives the listener an idea of a delusional world where Kauffmann offers the only realistic, sometimes overly dramatic, point of view.

Rapper D.P. is distinguished as the sole hip-hop act on this year's bill.

Fresh off of an East Coast tour with reggae band The Supervillians, D.P. recently released his eighth project in five years, "The Return II."

His latest offering blends sonic elements of hip-hop, country and southern rock to complement his lyrical tales about rural upbringings, heartbreak and not having the most amicable relationship with law enforcement.

"The Return II" can be previewed on www.officialdp.com where D.P. also gives people the opportunity to set their own price for the album.

Some of Gainesville's favorite bands will use the festival as a platform for reunion.

Hard-rock aficionado Blacksnake will give its cult following a rare performance.

Award-winning singer/songwriter Chuck Martin revives his rockabilly crew DblWiDe for the first time in nearly six years.

With a collection of such talented bands and singer/songwriters, it's obvious why the festival's motto is "About Music, For Music."

But Lima contends that the concert series wouldn't be as successful without the sponsorship of Danny and Joy Hughes' Loosey's Longshot bar.

"Danny helped us put on the first one by doing sound and essentially playing stage manager," he said. "We'd be lost without his leadership skills. And, obviously, he's giving up his bar to help us throw the extra events, and he paid for our T-shirts."

"Danny and Joy are fantastic."

Loosey's will host a pre-party on Friday, Feb. 17, where fans will have the opportunity to meet AM/FM's acts.

The after party immediately follows Sunday's main event.

Attendance rates have steadily increased at each showcase, and the three cohorts are anticipating a packed house this showcase.

But the goal doesn't stop when the music does on Feb. 19.

Lima has hopes that the AM/FM Music Showcase will continue to expand with the support of Gainesville's music and college communities.

"We want to make it multiple days and multiple venues," Lima said.

"The dream for this has always been big, and with any luck, it will be an anticipated and loved event for years to come."