A folding table, two guitars, an open balcony and a mashed heap of metal for a holiday "tree" are all that's needed to set the stage for "Rent," the rock-opera phenomenon that has become one of Broadway's best-known musicals.

The Gainesville Community Playhouse's production, which runs Sept. 23 through Oct. 16, keeps the classic mantra of "No day but today" alive and vibrant through both the music and the movement.

"That's the whole theme of the entire show," said Erin Kleim, the show's director. "‘Forget regret, or life is yours to miss.' If you really stop and think about that, it actually gets you more and more - the more you listen to it."

The show, loosely based on the Puccini opera "La Boheme," focuses on the lives of eight New York City residents, ranging from a struggling filmmaker to a cross-dressing street percussionist. Riddled with disease, romance and reality, the group members live "la vie boheme," the bohemian life, in efforts to fulfill their dreams of living to the fullest extent.

"It takes a lot of life experience (that) has to be drawn from that," said Phil Young, who plays frustrated musician Roger Davis.

Young attended a musical theater school and served in the military before returning to the stage in "Rent."

While the playhouse has been noted for putting on more "classic" musicals, it's shows like "Rent" that motivate those onstage and offstage to open doors for more modern performances in the future.

"The GCP is really supportive. We're in a very understanding, liberal town, and I feel like they're going to be open for us to do ‘Rent,'" Young said. "It's an abstract show. It's not your campy ‘40s musical."

Kleim said you can't deny "Rent" is a "very real show."

"We have a smaller community here. This theater itself has never, ever done a show like this," Kleim said. "But I have faith that enough people love the show (and) that they will come out and see this."

Audiences are cautioned that there are adult themes and language in the show, so it is suitable for mature audiences and not recommended for young children. Tickets are $16 for regular admission and $10 for students with IDs only on the day of the show. Regular admission tickets can be purchased through the box office, 352-376-4949, or online at gcplayhouse.org.