GPD prepares for start of football season

More than 200 officers from the Gainesville Police Department and the University Police Department will be on patrol to ensure football fans stay safe over the weekend.

Lt. Keith Kameg, GPD spokesman, said they will strictly be enforcing the open container law while fans tailgate.

"We understand people are going to party. That's part of the game day tradition," he said. "Be responsible with your drinking. If you are going to drink, don't drink and drive."

UPD spokesman Capt. Jeff Holcomb said UPD's main concern is tailgating areas that look like open bars, where minors have easy access to alcohol.

For all off-campus celebrations, Kameg said GPD's party patrol begins Friday night and ends as late as 5 a.m. on Sunday.

With so many people coming from out of town to watch UF play Western Kentucky University, GPD will have little tolerance for those who disturb the peace at the game, Kameg said.

"Disorderly behavior will get you taken to jail. We have no time for that. We want to make it a great day for people attending that event, and we want them to come back."