If strong safety Tony Joiner creeps up to defend the run, he needs to remember Reggie Nelson isn't guarding his backside anymore.

That safety blanket is gone.

When Joiner helps out on pass coverage, somebody better remind him Ryan Smith and Reggie Lewis are no longer on the team, either.

The two experienced cornerbacks also finished their college careers in Glendale, Ariz., on Jan. 8.

Joiner is the only returning starter and the only source of stability amid inexperience and athleticism - two words that define the Gators' defense and defensive backfield, in particular.

"I kind of feel like it's a strong responsibility for me this year," Joiner said, alluding to his new leadership role as a senior. "You've got some new guys that are unfamiliar playing. It's a big responsibility, having a lot of young guys around."

Joiner landed on the preseason All-Southeastern Conference second team after registering 59 tackles in his first year starting.

Joiner, a ferocious run stopper, fed his appetite by playing the run and leaving free safety Reggie Nelson to roam the entire field as a safety net.

That was a calculated risk that paid off for UF coach Urban Meyer last year.

With Nelson gone and question marks at cornerback, Joiner's role will adjust accordingly as he helps his younger teammates in coverage.

"We have to be creative and use some new defenses," he said. "We have to compromise a little from what we had last year. We have a bunch of young guys that aren't veterans. There are only so many things we can do."

Most of those young guys are vying for playing time - maybe starting time - at cornerback.

Sophomore Markihe Anderson, the team?s No. 4 corner last year behind the departed Smith, Lewis and Tremaine McCollum, is a step ahead of the field for one starting spot.

But Meyer, who holds all-world expectations, still isn?t impressed.

"Improved, improved, certainly nowhere near where we need to be," Meyer said.

Markus Manson, who converted from running back to corner in spring practice, and sophomore Wondy Pierre-Louis, a special teams gunner as a freshman, are fighting true freshman Joe Haden for the other spot.

At last check, Meyer said Pierre-Louis had the upper hand.

"There?s some guys battling," Meyer said. "It?s a street fight for that position."

At safety, the Gators should be fine, at least that's the way EA Sports seems to think.

Joiner is rated a 90 by the recently released "NCAA 2008" video game and projected starting free safety Kyle Jackson is tied for the second-rated player on UF?s entire team with a 91.

Not so fast, gamers.

Jackson is no lock to regain the starting job he lost two years ago to Nelson.

True freshman Major Wright, redshirt freshman Jamar Hornsby and sophomore Dorian Munroe are pushing him.

"He's an invested player," secondary coach Chuck Heater said of Jackson. "He's a more developed player than he was two years ago. He's got game experience, but it's competitive."