A environmentally friendly dome-shaped building, which also happens to serve as home for a Gainesville resident, is nearing completion.

Rod Rodriguez, whose lives in the geodesic dome in Southeast Gainesville, said he expects it to be finished by the end of the month. He built his home in the shape of a dome to make it energy-efficient and able to weather natural disasters.

"We decided on the geodome model because it is hurricane- and earthquake-resistant," Rodriguez said.

The building, located on Southeast Seventh Avenue, has been under construction for nine months. The dome is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. to anyone who wants to stop by.

"Anyone can come in and take a shower or do laundry here," Rodriguez said. "One of my neighbors was unable to put in a washing machine because of her landlord?s restrictions, so she comes over and gets her laundry done."

When construction began on the dome, Rodriguez worked with a team of 12 people.

"When we first started, I would see those 55 triangle tiles piled by the tree. I couldn?t imagine it being finished, and especially in nine months," he said.

The UF chapter of Engineers Without Borders, which has helped with the project in the past, helped put the finishing touches on the dome on Saturday morning. Members of the group were clearing out an area for a shed, which will be used for storage.