Rivers, Williams to battle for second outside spot

Welcome readers. My colleague Evan Drexler and I look forward to bringing you the most complete coverage possible of the UF volleyball team in this blog. This blog allows us some more space than is available in the paper, and we can get some information out there quicker. We welcome your comments and will try to reply to them as possible.

Coach Mary Wise addressed the second outside hitter position in the team's media op Tuesday afternoon.

Wise said the coaching staff has not decided on a starter for this weekend's matches at Mississippi State and Alabama, but the decision may come down to defense. According to Wise, redshirt freshman Janine Williams offers the team a better blocking presence at the net, while freshman Callie Rivers offers a better solution for back-row digs. Rivers relieved Williams in the end of game one of the Gators match against No. 22 LSU Sunday and started the rest of the games. Rivers has received more playing time of late and Wise has mentioned that Rivers is getting stronger as the year progresses as she works with the team's strength and conditioning staff.

Look for some friendly competition to push each to their best through the season as Wise tries to find the perfect lineup.

Also, look for Evan's story in Wednesday's Alligator regarding the team's not-so-fun travel moments lately.