UF speech and hearing clinics to offer free hearing tests in September

As Gators fans anticipate kickoffs, distract their opponents and celebrate touchdowns, Ben Hill Griffin Stadium becomes a loud place.

The sounds of a football stadium can reach up to 110 decibels, 25 decibels higher than the level at which hearing loss can begin, according to the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.

In an effort to create awareness about the potential for hearing loss, the UF Speech and Hearing Clinics are providing free hearing screenings during September.

Both the on-campus and off-campus locations will provide a basic screening to anyone who calls for an appointment. Further recommendations are suggested if a problem is found.

Dr. Michelle Colburn, the audiologist and director of the campus clinic, said that they provide the free services a few times during the year because people are more willing to get tested when they don't have to pay.

She said the recent news of hearing damage from iPods may be the reason for such a large response from students.

"Students not only listen to them for hours," Colburn said, "but at levels that just are not safe for their hearing."

Dr. Ryan Baker, a recent UF graduate and the audiologist at the off-campus location, said that patterns of hearing loss in college students are often self-induced and can be prevented with awareness.

People don't have to stop listening to their iPods or going to games, Baker said. The rule of thumb is if people give their ears a break of at least 15 minutes away from the loud sound, they will be doing themselves a favor, he said.

Turning down the volume on the iPod and wearing earplugs at loud events can prevent hearing loss in the long run.

"Prevention," Baker said, "is the best medicine by far."

Those interested in a free screening must call to make an appointment. For the campus clinic, call (352) 392-2041. Off-campus patients can call the new location, at (352) 273-0542.