The Gators will be without one of their offensive stars for Saturday's showdown with No. 22 Tennessee.

Senior wide receiver Andre Caldwell will miss the game - and maybe more - with a sprained MCL in his right knee, UF coach Urban Meyer said Monday.

"That's a blow," Meyer said. "That's a frontal shot right there."

Caldwell sustained the injury in the third quarter of No. 5 UF?s 59-31 win against Troy on Saturday.

Before his exit, Caldwell had a poor game by his lofty standards, gaining 27 yards on five touches, losing a fumble and dropping a gimme touchdown reception.

Meyer said the injury is not painful, but Caldwell could miss extended time.

"All I'm going to tell you is he can't play this week," Meyer said. "I'll just keep updating each week. … He heals real fast."

Caldwell, a preseason All-Southeastern Conference third-team pick, ranks in the top 12 on the Gators' all-time receptions and yards lists.

He has 1,699 career receiving yards on 133 catches.

He missed nearly all of the 2005 season after breaking his leg, coincidentally against Tennessee in The Swamp.

Last season Caldwell scored a touchdown in the national championship game, received a fifth year of eligibility, and passed up the NFL Draft to return for his senior season.

"He was one of the most polished receivers that we've had when he got hurt," Meyer said. "We've got to get him back."

Two receivers who looked impressive in the first two games will see increased roles in Caldwell's absence.

Sophomore Riley Cooper gets the first chance to replace Caldwell.

Cooper, a specialized deep threat, caught four passes for 122 yards and two scores against Western Kentucky two weeks ago.

Junior Cornelius Ingram could also join Percy Harvin and Louis Murphy in UF's primary three-receiver set.

Ingram had a career day in the Troy game, hauling in seven catches for 105 yards and a touchdown.

"The great thing about being at the University of Florida is you?ve got guys who can step up and make plays," quarterback Tim Tebow said. "All of those guys will step up."

But not having Caldwell certainly makes things tougher for Tebow, who is preparing to make his first SEC start against one of UF's main rivals.

"It's a tough loss for us," Tebow said. "He's a great player, a great leader for us, for our receiving corps. Everybody looks up to him."