While owning a dog can be expensive for students, as the dogs get bigger, the price gets smaller in Gainesville.

The UF College of Veterinary Medicine offers nearly free pet services to dogs over 50 pounds that are enrolled in their Canine Blood Donor Program.

Some of the qualifications:

Dogs must be 1 to 8 years old and able to donate blood every eight weeks for at least two years.

The dogs cannot have any blood-borne infections.

Dogs in the program must be capable of lying quietly for at least 10 minutes during donation.

Owners must be willing to allow the dog's neck to be shaved and blood to be drawn from the jugular vein.

Dogs must be available for at least half a day when they are scheduled for donation.

What UF's College of Veterinary Medicine provides:

Dogs are rewarded with a treat, food and a new dog toy during their blood donation.

Annual health screenings consisting of a physical examination, appropriate vaccinations and blood tests.

Free blood typing.

Free prevention treatments for heartworms, fleas and tick-borne infectious diseases.

A 40-pound bag of food and dog treats with each donation.

If the dog is ever in need of blood, the program will provide a unit of blood cells and plasma for every unit donated by the dog.