Eco-friendly apartment complex to likely debut in spring

The Bartram, an environmentally friendly apartment complex expected to open next year, will be one of the first of its kind in the United States.

Located on Old Archer Road, it will be one of the first rental properties in the U.S. to receive certification from Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, or LEED.

The U.S. Green Building Council program stresses environmental sustainability in buildings by awarding credits to the development.

Credits are based on areas such as site location, water efficiency, energy and atmosphere, materials and resources, and indoor environmental quality.

Earned points add up to a LEED qualification level, which can be Certifed, Silver, Gold or Platinum. Keith Colgan, president of Foram Development, said the developers are aiming at Certified.

Foram Development is part of Foram Group, the owner of the property and lead developer of The Bartram.

It's the group's policy to have every one of its projects either LEED certified or considered a sustainable development, Colgan said.

Pam Brown, the manager of Contemporary Management Concepts, said she publicized The Bartram at UF's Fall Housing Fair last week.

Construction for The Bartram started in the spring, and is expected to open around May or June 2008.

The units will feature granite countertops, energy-efficient appliances and walk-in closets, he said.

The complex itself will have concierge service, a fitness center, cyber café with a coffee bar, pool with fountains, six-story parking garage and a poolside, gourmet outdoor kitchen.

A one-bedroom apartment will cost about ,1,200 per month. A three-bedroom apartment will cost about ,2,500, he said.

Brown said she receives about five to six calls a day from potential renters.

Colgan said he is excited to break new ground in Gainesville with this apartment project.

"We own our properties and we keep them," Colgan said. "We're very proud of them."