Exhibit displays 'Alice in Wonderland' memorabilia

UF students can now explore Alice's Wonderland for themselves in the "The Afterlife of Alice in Wonderland" exhibit displayed on the second floor of the Smathers Library.

The exhibit, which will be up until Dec. 15, was put together by the department of special collections in the Baldwin Library of Historical Children's Literature and showcases a variety of Alice-related materials that followed the publication of the original series of novels by Lewis Carroll.

The exhibit features illustrations of characters on the walls and informational boards, including a biography on Carroll and different adaptations of the tale.

"It's hilarious to see how many different stories were spawned off by 'Alice in Wonderland,'" said Rachael Scott, a UF student and an intern who worked on the exhibit. "My favorite one is about a professor's experience through the land of quantum physics."

One of the main purposes of the exhibit is to educate people on the various versions of the story based on the original text rather than the Disney adaptation, said Rita Smith, curator of the Baldwin Library and exhibit coordinator.

One of the highlights is the rare version of "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland," which is accompanied with 12 illustrations created by famous Spanish artist Salvador Dali.