Halloween Horror Nights is back and more intense than ever.

The creative team at Universal Orlando has been working year round to create eight entirely new haunted houses, four original shows and an evil carnival to tie it all together.

But what's a carnival without a ringmaster? That's where Jack comes in. If you've lived in Florida for even a short time, you are probably already familiar with Jack, the "Clown Prince of Halloween," as Universal describes him.

Jack is back for the park's 17th (count 'em) Halloween Horror Nights. This year's theme is "Carnival of Carnage."

For the first time ever, thanks to a partnership with New Line Cinema, visitors can come face to face with three of Hollywood's most feared horror villains: Freddy Krueger, Jason Voorhees and Leatherface all have their own haunted houses and are awaiting unsuspecting visitors.

In addition to seeing the terrifying trio, you can take a stroll through a vampire-infested nightclub, try to escape Jack's 3D funhouse maze, and encounter "The Thing" from the John Carpenter film of the same name.

Of course, Bill and Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure is back as always, ready to bash this year's popular films and celebrity blunders. Let's just say they had plenty of content this year.

Also featured is a freakshow with new acts each weekend and a tribute to The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Jack has his own show up front, where he and his cohorts force unlucky contestants to pick a card and participate in gory carnival games.

As proven by the Ferris wheel out front and the bumper cars on the loose throughout the park, the Carnival of Carnage has invaded Universal Studios Florida and transformed it into Jack's nightmare.

The event runs on select nights now through Nov. 3. Check www.HalloweenHorrorNights.com for more information.

Circus of the Horrors: A guide to Halloween Horror Night's Haunted Houses

A Nightmare on Elm Street: Dreamwalkers

Stepping through the door of 1428 Elm Street, guests come face-to-face with the nightmare man himself, Freddy Krueger. Trapped in a walking dream state, guests will join Freddy's victims as they relive their most vicious nightmares.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Flesh Wounds

Guests find themselves trapped inside the Hewitt family home as they are hunted by chainsaw-wielding maniac Leatherface and his family of freaks.

Friday the 13th: Camp Blood

Visitors take a tour of the abandoned remains of Camp Crystal Lake, the slay grounds of Jason Voorhees. There has not been an incident here for years, and Jason has seemingly disappeared … or has he?

The Thing: Assimilation

This house celebrates the 25th anniversary of John Carpenter's horror/sci-fi classic with a sequel set 25 years after the incident at Outpost 31. Guests enter a research hub housing the government's most classified projects. When a containment unit containing biohazardous evidence unexpectedly opens, something is let loose.

Dead Silence: The Curse of Mary Shaw

Based on the Universal horror film, the theater of the vengeful Mary Shaw is brought to life. The tortured ghost of the evil ventriloquist searches for fresh victims to create the perfect doll while sinister puppets terrify guests.

Psychoscareapy: Home for the Holidays

A transport bus containing the most crazed residents of the now-infamous local hospital has overturned. Clawing their way out of the twisted wreckage, these crazed children wreak horror on the nearby neighborhood.

Vampyr: Blood Bath

Located inside an abandoned industrial building, Club Vampyr has everything one would need to paint the town red - blood red, that is.

Jack's Funhouse in Clown-O-Vision

Guests enter this Jack'd up world of oversaturated color that appears to leap out at them. Winding twists and turns lead visitors on a seemingly unending maze featuring more crazed clowns than they could ever imagine. And before it's all said and done, guests will know Jack!

(Information provided by Universal)

Survival Tips

Looking to have a screaming good time? Here are some tips to make the most of this year's event.

• The best nights to go are Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. They are the least crowded days and have the best discounts available.
  • Although they cost more, Halloween Horror Nights Express Passes will allow you to skip the lines. If you plan to go on a Friday or Saturday, they are a must if you want to do everything.
  • Buy your event ticket online and print it out. The event always starts at 6:30 p.m., but plan on getting there early because it takes a while for everyone to pass through the metal detectors.
  • The rides at Universal are open, so if the haunted houses have long lines, take a spin on the Revenge of the Mummy roller coaster or Men in Black Alien Attack.
  • Don't miss the Bill and Ted show! It is one of the best parts of the event. Plan to get to the show 30 minutes early - every showing will fill up.

Your Horror Night ticket will also give you access to most of the CityWalk nightclubs on the night of the event.