Kanapaha Gardens holds open house

Kanapaha Botanical Gardens will celebrate its 20th birthday by granting free admission at its Open House on Saturday.

People will get to walk through the gardens, which are located on Archer Road, during regular hours from 9 a.m. to dusk.

The grounds offer a wide array of gardens, from roses and azaleas to bamboo and herbs.

Director Don Goodman said a plant sale will take place from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. One-third of the vendors are local, and the rest will come from across the state.

Vendors only pay ,35 for booth rentals and keep all the money they make from plant sales, Goodman said.

Plants available will include vines, palms, native and tropical plants, carnivorous plants, shrubs and trees.

Goodman said it will be the gardens' 12th Open House, and he expects a couple thousand people to attend.

Goodman hopes to gather more student interest in the gardens.

It's a good way for students to experience parts of Alachua County beyond the UF campus, he said.

"Gardens are always a great place to decompress and get away from the pressures of being a student," Goodman said.