Andrew Meyer has agreed to an 18-month term of voluntary probation by the State Attorney's Office following his arrest Sept. 17.

Meyer must also donate ,150 to the American Cancer Society or perform 10 hours of community service in addition to submitting a written apology to the UF community and the University Police Department, stated Meyer's deferred prosecution agreement.

If Meyer completes the terms of the agreement, the case against him will be closed without any court action.

"A responsible society should attempt to correct rather than simply punish such behavior when there is no indication that doing so risks creating a threat to the safety or peace of the community," wrote State Attorney Bill Cervone in a news release.

Meyer released apology letters to the UF community, UPD and UF President Machen Monday night.

The deferred prosecution agreement, which was completed Wednesday, was not filed with the court until today so Meyer could complete his letters.

Meyer also accepted punishment from UF for violating the Student Code of Conduct, but the details of his penalty could not be disclosed, stated a news release from Patricia Telles-Irvin, UF's vice president of student affairs.

Meyer's lawyer, Robert Griscti, said Meyer has withdrawn from classes because of the aggressive attention he's received from other students and the media, and he plans to return in January.