RTS driver in stable condition after being rolled over by own bus

A driver whose bus rolled over him Monday night is in stable condition, a city spokesman said.

The name of the driver, who works for Regional Transit System, and his injuries could not be released.

The incident happened at about 10:10 p.m. Monday on McCarty Drive.

University Police Department Lt. Robert Wagner said the driver was transported to Shands at UF.

Theresa Harrison, RTS marketing and communications specialist, said no passengers were on the bus or involved in the incident.

The bus was damaged slightly, Harrison said.

All RTS drivers go through 40 or more hours of bus training as well as training on RTS policies and procedures, she said.

Gainesville's Risk Management Department and RTS are conducting investigations of the incident, she said.

UPD is also conducting an investigation and is waiting to interview the driver of the bus, Wagner said.

UPD may issue the driver a citation.

The citation can't be about careless driving because the driver wasn't in the bus when it started rolling, Wagner said.

At this point, he said, it's about properly securing the vehicle's braking methods.