The UF chapter of Zeta Tau Alpha Sorority began its first day of fundraising for breast cancer awareness and education in Turlington Plaza on Tuesday.

The table collected a little more than ,200, said Erin Shafter, president of Zeta Tau Alpha's UF chapter.

Members of the sorority, known as Zeta, asked passersby for donations for the three-day event called Kiss Away Breast Cancer.

Any amount of money allowed donors to draw a set of lips or kiss the banner after applying lipstick.

"My mother was a breast cancer survivor, so I always donate to these causes," said Matt Novack, a UF graduate student, as he drew lips on the banner.

The Kiss Away Breast Cancer table will be in Turlington Plaza through Thursday.

The sorority hopes to collect more than ,300 today, Shafter said.

"This fundraiser is about much more than money," Shafter said. "It's about awareness."

The purpose of Kiss Away Breast Cancer is to raise money and awareness for its cause and upcoming philanthropy, Zeta Linedance, which is on Thursday.

For the event, members of Zeta pair up with members of fraternities at UF to perform a dance.

The event will be hosted at The Venue in downtown Gainesville.

Shafter said she hopes to raise ,30,000 by the end of Thursday's event.

The sorority has raised about ,20,000 so far this month.

"Breast cancer affects many, many women in the U.S. and around the world," Safter said. "This event allows us to come together to make a larger impact."