UF alumni are coming home, and university fundraisers are ready with open arms - and pockets.

While it's unlikely UF will receive an influx of cash and checks over Homecoming weekend, it gives the UF Foundation, UF's fundraising organization, the opportunity to mingle with potential donors.

"A single event like a football game or Homecoming doesn't necessarily bring in a huge amount of money," said Chris Brazda, a spokesman for the foundation. "The donations we get come in over time."

However, Brazda said any event that brings UF alumni back to campus allows UF fundraisers to show them places where the university could use monetary help.

Each of UF's colleges usually hosts some kind of Homecoming event, such as tailgate parties or special lectures.

The events raise awareness about UF's accomplishments and goals, which usually encourages future donations, he said.

In addition, the Florida Blue Key banquet, Homecoming parade and football game always attract a large alumni crowd, he said.

Brazda said he couldn't estimate how many donors the foundation expects to rub elbows with during Homecoming festivities, and he didn't know how much extra money might come in.

The foundation collects a range of gifts from ,50 to more than ,100,000, he said.

He added that the foundation does not have a list of VIPs for donors to charm this weekend.

He said as far as he's concerned, "everybody's a potential donor."