Florida's second-in-command to speak at law school graduation

Florida Lt. Gov. Jeff Kottkamp will speak at the UF Levin College of Law's graduation ceremony at the end of the fall semester.

Robert Jerry, dean of the law school, said he invited Kottkamp to be the keynote speaker at the ceremony, which will take place Dec. 21 at the Philips Center for the Performing Arts.

Kottkamp graduated from the UF law school in 1987.

Jerry said Kottkamp is the highest official in the executive branch who is a graduate of the UF law school.

"We would like to focus on having alumni as commencement speakers," Jerry said, "especially those with great distinction with the practice of law."

Jerry said Kottkamp would probably mention the importance of public service in his speech. He said Kottkamp is passionate about giving back to the community.

"I try to be careful and select speakers who not only have distinction but will do a great job," Jerry said. "He's very dynamic."

Kottkamp was elected to the Florida House of Representatives in 2000, 2002 and 2004.

Some of the legislation he sponsored involved tax reductions and addressing discrimination.

He sponsored the Marvin Davies Civil Rights Act of 2003, which gave the attorney general's office the authority to address practices of discrimination.