Local law enforcement units join forces to fight narcotics problem

Local law enforcement officers announced the formation of a multi-agency narcotics unit Wednesday afternoon.

The Alachua County Sheriff's Office, the Gainesville Police Department, the University Police Department and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement helped plan the partnership.

GPD Chief Norman Botsford said narcotics is the most important unit, because illegal drugs make up a large portion of crime in Gainesville.

Botsford had been working with Alachua County Sheriff Sadie Darnell for months on reforming the narcotics unit.

It had been nine years since GPD and the sheriff's office worked together on a narcotics level, Darnell said.

In the past, egos and territorial issues have stood in the way of successful working relationships, she said.

As a former GPD captain, Darnell said she remembers the tension between GPD and the sheriff's office.

Botsford said he is working with Darnell to form more multi-agency operations.

"Neither one of us has any territorial problems sharing credit with the others," he said.

Darnell said more cooperative programs will include traffic enforcement and domestic violence.

As part of the ceremony, Darnell swore in city and university officers as deputy sheriffs.

She said there has been no reluctance from staff toward the partnership.

"We trust the people who are assigned to the unit," Darnell said. "They've done incredible stuff already."

"With this formalized agreement," Darnell said, "they'll be able to do even more."