Motorcycle parade raises about ,74,000 for veterans' causes

More than 1,500 motorcycles clad in chrome, rubber and leather lined up in rows in an SFCC parking lot Sunday for the Seventh Annual Bikers on Parade for the USA.

They created a rainbow with hues including lime green and black cherry.

The 17-mile parade, which was held in honor of Veterans Day, wound its way from SFCC to the Alachua County Fairgrounds.

The parade raised about ,74,000, which will benefit the North Central Florida Chapter of the American Red Cross, as well as local veterans causes, said Ralph Cameron, the parade's organizer.

The event raised money through donations, as well as rider and passenger fees for those who participated in the parade. Bikers on Parade was created as a reaction to Sept. 11.

It is an event for people to gather and celebrate the spirit and pride of America and to raise awareness for fire personnel, law enforcement and veterans, Cameron said.

A pre-parade event included a speech from state Rep. Larry Cretul, a Republican.

"This event allows us to show those who fight for our freedom and our safety the support and respect they deserve," Cretul said. "We must continue to support the veterans of today, and we must remember those who did not return to be celebrated as veterans."