Police find gun in lake that may be linked to shooting

Police found a weapon Tuesday that may have been used in the Sunday morning shooting of a Tallahassee man who later died at Shands at UF.

Sgt. Keith Faulk, Alachua County Sheriff's Office spokesman, said a handgun was recovered in about three feet of water by the office's dive team.

Police will not know if it is the actual weapon until they conduct a forensic review, said Lt. Keith Kameg, Gainesville Police Department spokesman.

He said the weapon was found around 1 p.m.

Faulk said it was found in Christmas Lake, a small body of water in rural Gilchrist County.

He said the sheriff's office was assisting GPD in tracking suspect Okpara Kehinde Nelson, 22.

Nelson is a suspect in the shooting of Andrew David Arosemena, 21. Arosemena was shot in the Southwest Downtown Parking Garage while he and a second suspect, Antwan Maurice Maye, were arguing, a police report stated.

Kameg said Maye, 25, said he saw Nelson throw a small-caliber handgun into the lake. Maye turned himself in to police Sunday night.

"Now we're getting into the preparation for the state attorney," Kameg said. "If it is in fact the murder weapon, it is a huge piece of evidence."