RTS buses will no longer serve as mobile billboards

An advertisement warning of intoxication and sleazy drunk guys caught UF student Wesley Cronk's eye as a Regional Transit System bus passed him.

But Cronk said he doesn't see buses as billboards. In fact, the ad was the only one he's ever noticed.

For riders, this may become a growing trend as fewer buses are being plastered with advertisements.

In 2006, when the city of Gainesville implemented a new RTS logo, city commissioners voted against exterior ad placement on the new buses in order to keep a cohesive look, which emphasizes the emblem, said Theresa Harrison, an RTS spokeswoman.

Of the 77 buses, 23 older models have advertisments on them, she said

Harrison said the primary goal is to establish a community brand. To accomplish this, ads are not allowed on the sides of new buses.

The value of branding, or making a seal familiar and synonymous with RTS, is more important than potential advertising at this point, but in the future, RTS would like to review the option of selling ad space when the brand has been established, she said.

The UF Transportation and Parking Advisory Committee ordered new buses for use in the spring, Harrison said.

None will host advertisements, she said.

The city's ordinance keeps the advertisements less cluttered and more attractive, Harrison said.

"This is one of the reasons Gainesville was voted the No. 1 place to live in the country," she said.