The UF chapter of Delta Delta Delta Sorority, known as Tri-Delta, is leading an effort to help the Greek community of Gainesville become more environmentally friendly.

The sorority is encouraging all Greek chapters at UF to join its new "Greeks Going Green" campaign and will host a meeting Nov. 18 to speak about the effort with delegates from each UF Greek organization.

Greeks will be challenged each year to make one lifestyle change and to live in the most environmentally efficient manner, said Kylie Savino, the Tri-Delta member who founded the campaign.

For the chapters that have houses, changes such as implementing a new recycling plan, switching to recycled paper products instead of Styrofoam or using compact fluorescent lightbulbs in their houses can make a huge difference, Savino said.

Chapters that don't have a house can still participate by having members pledge to make lifestyle changes, such as bringing their own grocery bags when they go shopping, Savino said.

Every chapter will be asked to participate in fundraising for the campaign.

T-shirt sales, sponsored by local businesses, for all chapters and canvas-bag sales for the sororities will supplement start-up costs of the endeavor.

Savino said she hopes to gain the support of Gainesville in funding the campaign.

Some local businesses are already on board.

Mike Amish, owner of Indigo, a store that specializes in environmentally friendly products, will help at the meeting.

He said he will educate fraternity and sorority members on some ways to go green.

Some products the store carries can also help, he said.

"Half the battle is being a conscious consumer," Amish said.

Savino emphasized the impact the Greek community can make with this campaign.

"Sustainability is such a hot trend right now. We want to be able to jump on the bandwagon and take the opportunity to be influential in our efforts," she said.

Savino said she hopes other Tri-Delta chapters around the nation will adopt the campaign if it proves successful.

Other chapter members share her hope for the effort's potential impact at UF.

"If enough people take it seriously, it could definitely make a big impact," said Becky Koppel, a freshman in Alpha Epsilon Phi Sorority.