Monday, April 29, 2024

The Bright Futures Scholarship program will give less book money to some students in January because of Florida's budget shortfalls.

Instead of receiving ,300 for "college-related expenses," Florida Academic Scholars will receive ,225 for the spring semester, an e-mail from the Florida Department of Education states.

The Bright Futures program pays for 100 percent of Florida Academic Scholars' tuition and fees, and recipients traditionally have gotten an extra ,300 for books and other materials.

The extra allowance will now depend on the budget each year, states the state Senate bill, approved in late October.

Jonathan Valdez, a UF freshman, said he will be watching the funding changes closely. Valdez said he's a Florida Academic Scholar but pays for the rest of his college costs himself.

"The way I see it, we were lucky to even get ,300," Valdez said. "I'm not happy they're lowering it, but I'm not going to complain about it either."

Still, he said he feels a little helpless.

"Is there anything I can do about it?" Valdez asked. "I guess I could get angry."