Turkeys, cans of corn and green beans are what the Student Senate has been thinking about since Monday.

Sen. Anita McNulty, who represents UF sophomores, said the Senate is collecting canned foods, nonperishable food items and money donations for homeless shelters and families.

McNulty said she has been collecting contributions from student senators and anyone involved in Student Government since Monday.

She said all donations will be given to Bread of the Mighty Food Bank, a part of America's Second Harvest, which is the largest charitable hunger-relief organization in the United States.

She said the Senate has a service project each semester, but this is the first year it has sponsored a Thanksgiving food drive.

About 40 or 50 cans of food and at least ,75 in donations have already been collected for the drive, she said.

McNulty said she expects to have about 200 cans of food and ,100 to donate by Tuesday, the last day of the drive.

"I think that we're all so blessed in certain ways to have homes, and there's a lot of people less fortunate," McNulty said. "It's just a great way to give back to the community."