Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Unless, that is, the "imitation" means a cover band thrown together in six days.

Reitz Union Board Bands is hosting another cover band competition tonight at 8 at the Orange & Brew, but as a twist on last semester's competition, the bands each only got six days to prepare their acts.

RUB Bands announced the event Friday on Facebook.com, said Adam D'Augelli, a member of the group.

He said at least eight acts have signed up to perform, including faux Ben Folds, David Bowie and Animal Collective, and solo Peaches and Andrew W.K. tributes.

Each act will play two or three songs from their selected artist in their own style.

Bands will be judged by three local judges, whose identities are secret so far. The bands will be judged in the categories of music, crowd interaction, and look and stage presence, said Nick Lamberth, co-director of RUB Bands.

The winner of the competition will receive, a copy of Guitar Hero 3, courtesy of RUB Bands.

Lamberth and D'Augelli agreed that there would be a lot of surprises at a show where participants only have six days to prepare.

"We really want to see the raw, real deal," D'Augelli said.

At the last cover band competition in the spring, participants had about three weeks to prepare.

About 150 people turned out for that contest, and RUB Bands hopes more than 100 come to tonight's.

The competition is also a precursor to another act the group hopes to bring to Orange & Brew in the spring: its own version of "The Gong Show," Lamberth said.

D'Augelli said he thinks tonight's cover bands competition will be a great success.

"Think of the most awesome event ever," he said by way of example, "and then multiply it by a million."

The free event is open to the public.