Women report being followed, grabbed

Two female students were grabbed and a group of women was followed last week, a University Police Department news release stated Friday.

UPD is investigating the three incidents, the release stated.

Lt. Robert Wagner, a UPD spokesman, said the department does not know if the incidents are related. He said the two grabbing episodes could result in a battery charge.

The release stated that Wednesday at 10 p.m., a man, who was described as about 5 feet 7 inches and 160 pounds, grabbed a 17-year-old female UF student near the architecture building.

The second grabbing incident happened at 3 a.m. Friday near the Chi Omega Sorority house, the release stated.

The student said someone grabbed her from behind.

On Thursday night, a man was reported following women from the Norman Hall garage to Sorority Row.

He was wearing a green jacket and blue jeans, the release stated.

It stated UPD has since increased patrols in these areas.

Wagner said students should not travel alone and should stay in well-lit and populated areas to avoid problems.

Anyone with information regarding these incidents is asked to contact UPD Detective Jeff Moran at 352-392-1111.