NEWS  |  SFC

Florida Democratic Party chairwoman to address SFCC class

Florida Democratic Party Chairwoman Karen Thurman will visit SFCC on Wednesday to speak to a political science class of about 20 students.

Donna Waller, professor of the class, said Thurman will be speaking at 11 a.m.

"She is an old and dear friend of mine," Waller said.

Waller said because she started her career as a math teacher at Dunnellon Middle School, Thurman loves talking to students.

A former member of the U.S. House of Representatives and Florida Senate, Thurman attended and graduated from both SFCC and UF, Waller said.

She said Thurman is coming to Gainesville for a Florida Democratic Party fundraiser Wednesday evening.

Waller said that this is the first time she will be speaking at SFCC as the chairwoman of the Democratic Party.

Michelle Daniel, a sophomore at SFCC and a member of Waller's class, said she is excited to hear Thurman speak.

"Because our class has been learning a lot about the jobs of the Senate and the House of Representatives, it will be interesting to hear Congresswoman Thurman's firsthand account of what it was like for her to be a part of them," Daniel said.