Street to serve as memorial for slain police officer

Gainesville will honor one of its fallen police officers Friday by naming part of a street for him.

The stretch of Northwest 17th Street from West University Avenue to Northwest Eighth Avenue will be known as Lt. Corey Dahlem Drive after a dedication ceremony at 4 p.m., a UF news release stated.

Dahlem was hit by a drunken driver while patrolling the streets on April 3 after the men's basketball championship.

The ceremony will take place at the Murphree Hall parking lot on the corner of Buckman Drive and West University Avenue.

The street signs will be changed to reflect the new name, and UF will unveil a memorial plaque on campus, the release stated.

Expected guest speakers at the ceremony include UF President Bernie Machen, as well as Gainesville Chief of Police Norman Botsford.

Dahlem's widow, Sally, and UF men's basketball coach Billy Donovan are expected to attend the ceremony.

Jeremy Foley, UF's athletic director, and Jeanna Mastrodicasa, a city commisioner, are also expected to be there.

The ceremony is open to the public.

Those who assisted or were present the night of the incident are especially encouraged to attend, the release stated.