UF added another name to its 2008 recruiting class with the commitment of Dunnellon High linebacker Lerentee McCray.

The 6-foot-2 200-pounder announced his decision to join the Gators on ESPNU Wednesday afternoon. McCray joins a group that is primarily loaded with defensive talent, making it clear where UF coach Urban Meyer thinks his team needs the most improvement.

In addition to McCray, Will Hill and Dee Finley, rated the No. 1 and No. 5 safeties in the nation by Scout.com, as well as Brendan Beal, the country's No. 6 strong-side linebacker, will all look to contribute on a defense that struggled through most of this season.

McCray - rated as a four-star prospect and the No. 11 weak-side linebacker - decommitted from the University of Miami in early December and placed himself back on the market.

According to Scout.com recruiting analyst Jason Higdon, McCray had already made up his mind before he walked away from the Hurricanes.

"He talked to both Coach (Charlie) Strong and Coach Meyer often when he was allowed to," Higdon said. "He's been to campus 10 to 15 times and for all the home games except Auburn and Florida Atlantic."

Higdon confirmed that McCray had been a silent commit to UF before choosing to leave Miami.

McCray runs a 4.5-second 40-yard dash, and much like the current Gators defense, prides himself on quickness despite his lack of size. He had over 100 tackles and nine sacks his senior season, while also playing wide receiver and returning kicks.

Higdon even compared McCray to a former UF star.

"I can see him being the next Earl Everett," Higdon said. "He's very fast and has a lot of athleticism."

Everett, a linebacker, led the 2006 Gators in tackles.

McCray may also have found a roommate for next year, as he and Groveland South Lake High running back Jeff Demps have formed a strong relationship during the recruiting process.

He will visit UF this weekend along with defensive tackle Omar Hunter and wide receiver Julio Jones and four-star cornerback T.J. Bryant.

McCray's commitment came as a surprise to some after he told several outlets that he enjoyed a visit to Florida State last weekend.

It could be a while before McCray sees playing time in The Swamp. UF returns its entire linebacking corps from this season, and several of the players from the 2007 recruiting class are expected to make an impact at the position.

"[McCray] could redshirt, but he could go out there and impress," Higdon said.

National Signing Day is fast approaching, and with the commitment of McCray the Gators are hoping they end the recruiting season with one of the best classes in the nation.

Verbal commitments are non-binding until a letter of intent is signed on or after Feb. 6, National Signing Day.