Weighing 150 pounds and listed as a generous 5-foot-11 inches, UF guard Jai Lucas has made a habit of playing big.

The freshman from Houston, Texas, is quickly developing into the Gators go-to guy in the clutch, something Lucas feels was part of his makeup all along.

"It's kind of natural," Lucas said. "I think everybody on the team kind of has it, it just depends on the time and whose game it is."

When Lucas and the Gators (15-2, 2-0 Southeastern Conference) head to Oxford to take on No. 18 Mississippi (14-1, 1-1 SEC) Wednesday, UF coach Billy Donovan will hope for much of the same from his young point guard.

"Sometimes, when you're little like he is, and maybe you lack some things in stature or strength or size, there's other ways that you have to try to play the game to affect the game," Donovan said. "I think he plays the game the right way. He wants to win. He's done a nice job for us up to this point in time."

Lucas has spent his whole life as an undersized player in a big man's game. When he was younger, his father, former NBA player and coach John Lucas II, made him wear a 40-pound vest while shooting 500 jump shots per day in a local gym.

Lucas said his dream of playing basketball was never halted by his size, although he once thought he might be headed in a different direction.

"The doctor told me when I was 5 that I was going to be 6-9," Lucas said. "I don't know where that happened, but after I saw my brother stop growing, I was like I'm going to be stuck at 5-10 too, just like him. I'm 5-10 really, but nobody believes me."

Lucas's real size can be found in his heart and his fearless demeanor at the most opportune times.

Against Alabama, with the Gators struggling to survive in a hostile environment, Lucas hit a 3-pointer right before the first-half buzzer sounded, bringing his team to within seven and giving UF some much-needed life.

Lucas was also responsible for the shot that gave the Gators their first lead at 61-59 and again at 63-61. Against Auburn, Lucas poured in 7 of the teams final 9 points and hit several baskets as the shot clock neared expiration.

Lucas and the Gators will undoubtedly face their biggest challenge yet in the Rebels, whose only loss came on the road to a sixth-ranked Tennessee squad many consider to be the strongest in the conference.

"This is a team that is unquestionably one of the best in the SEC," Donovan said. "They were a team last year that really started to surge and get some great wins. … It's a tough place to play, and it should be another great challenge for our guys."

The biggest concern for Donovan is on the front line, where the Rebels boast a talented and experienced group of players, led by senior center Dwayne Curtis, who is averaging 14.9 points and 8.2 rebounds per game.

"Perhaps more so than any other team, they have incredible front court players that are experienced, athletic and could score," Donovan said. "It's going to be a collective, difficult, hard challenge for our guys to rebound the basketball."

Leading the way for Mississippi is Orlando product Chris Warren, who is contributing almost 16 points per game in his freshman season. UF will also face former Gators guard David Huertas, who transferred after the 2006 season.

The Gators should be at relatively full strength, with some speculation still surrounding Dan Werner and his status for the game.

Donovan said he expects Werner to play, but is taking things day-to-day in practice. Werner sprained his foot against Alabama, but played 30 minutes off the bench against Auburn and managed to score 11 points.