Well, my first stimulating albeit frustrating week as managing editor has come to a close. Although the 50-hour workweeks, late nights and massive amounts of paper-shuffling will still take some getting used to - not to mention my rapidly disappearing social life - I am still excited about the opportunity to help set which direction the Alligator heads this semester.

This week was a good start, and there are many interesting events and issues coming up soon that will require coverage. Dr. Jack Kevorkian, who says he assisted in the deaths of about 130 people and who left prison in June after serving eight years, will speak at UF on Tuesday. Accent, Student Government's speakers bureau, certainly came through in finding a controversial speaker.

Voting for Gainesville city elections and the Florida presidential primaries will happen on Jan 29. Sometimes it's hard not to be cynical, but voting is still a privilege not granted to citizens of every country. Take advantage. The best news is that the biggest news will probably be something that we have no clue about right now. Stay tuned.

So as this semester finally gets underway, pardon our dust while we get our mostly new staff up and running - everyone still has some learning to do, including Chad (the editor) and I. You may have noticed a few more errors in this week's Alligator than usual, but we're working quickly to get everyone up to speed.

Finally, if you have any concerns or suggestions about the Alligator, you can always e-mail me at dculclasure@alligator.org