UPD first to be accredited at intl., state, univ. levels

University Police is the first department in the nation to achieve "Triple Crown" status after receiving accreditation on international, state, and university levels.

Each accreditation requires that the department pass an inspection of every nook and cranny of the agency, said Robert Wagner, UPD administrative support lieutenant.

UPD is also the only campus law enforcement agency in the state of Florida to be given an international award, Wagner said.

The major benefit of the recent achievements is the credibility UPD has gained, he said.

"I think it's nice there is positive press out there to offset some of the negative press since the Andrew Meyer situation," he said, referring to the UPD Tasering of Meyer, a UF student, in September at a public forum.

UPD heard the news of its success in the middle of a five-day inspection process from the international accrediting agency, he said.

"It came at a bad time because it didn't get a lot of attention," he said, "but it came at a good time because it provided us with a diversion and boost during a stressful time."

He said UPD has received calls seeking advice on its successful policies since the attention the "Triple Crown" status has brought it.

"When you see the University of Florida name associated with an accreditation policy, that gives it some serious weight," he said.

Capt. Jeff Holcomb, UPD spokesman, said the standards required to receive these accreditations prove that UPD officers are performing at their highest potential.

With 160 employees, UPD is one of the largest campus law enforcement agencies in the country, Wagner said.

UPD and the Gainesville Police Department also work closely together, Holcomb said. The two agencies team up in difficult situations off campus or when extra security is needed on campus, he said.

Wagner said no amount of recognition would encourage UPD officers to stop trying to improve even more.

"UF ought to be leading the way for the nation," Wagner said. "So we should do that too."