Volunteers hire former Gators' running backs coach Drayton

Former UF running backs coach Stan Drayton, a heavy recruiter for the Gators, made a lateral move to Tennessee on Sunday.

Drayton said he waited until Tuesday to make the news official so he could have time to speak to his players at UF, but he will be headed to Knoxville, Tenn., on Wednesday.

"Obviously we have some strong relationships built here, but they do understand the business," Drayton said. "They understand the situation that I was in. They're wishing me all the best just like I'm wishing them all the best."

Drayton will replace Kurt Roper, who left Tennessee in December with former offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe when he accepted Duke's head coaching position.

UF coach Urban Meyer was not made available for comment on Tuesday, so Drayton's replacement is still unknown.

Meyer met with Drayton on Jan. 2, and the two decided that it was time for a fresh start at the running backs coaching position, though Drayton pointed out that he was not fired.

Drayton said his interest grew with the Volunteers after he spoke with Tennessee's assistant athletic director, Bruce Warwick. Drayton and Warwick worked together in 2001-03 with the Green Bay Packers.

Drayton said he felt Tennessee was the right move because the running back position is featured more prominently.

"I was excited about coaching Emmanuel Moody and Chris Rainey and Kestahn Moore, but some opportunities just fell in my lap that made me re-evaluate my situation," Drayton said. "I thought it would be a good opportunity for me to explore a system where I could continue to grow as a position coach and help my longtime goal in becoming an offensive coordinator or head coach someday."

Drayton was the lowest paid of Florida's nine assistant coaches this season at ,135,000, and he was one of only two coaches making less than ,170,000. Assistant offensive line and tight ends coach John Hevesy made ,140,000 this season.

Drayton was named one of Rivals.com's top 25 recruiters in 2007 for his role in Florida's No. 1 recruiting class. He secured players like Rainey, defensive tackle Torrey Davis and backup quarterback Cameron Newton.

It's unknown how Drayton's departure will affect this year's recruiting class. Among others, Drayton was trying to convince Jacksonville Trinity Christian Academy running back Jamie Harper - the nation's No. 5 back according to Scout.com - to come to UF.