Analyst not optimistic about women's hoops NCAA Tournament bid

CollegeRPI.com founder Jerry Palm didn't have much good news for UF women's basketball fans Wednesday.

The Gators (16-10, 5-6 Southeastern Conference) have three regular-season games remaining - Sunday at home against South Carolina and then road contests at Tennessee and Mississippi next week. Then there's the SEC Tournament - UF's currently ranked seventh in the league, and will likely finish there or eighth barring a collapse from the Gators or anyone above them.

Some stats about UF's bubble status:

RPI: 0.5956 - 37

SOS: 0.5889 - 23

Here's what Palm had to say about the Gators in a teleconference :

"The women's team is similar to the men because they are on the cusp on trying to get into this thing."

"I'm not terribly optimistic about Florida because I think their schedule is difficult. But with a difficult schedule, there's opportunity. They've lost four out of six, so that's going the wrong way."

My thoughts? UF has to win the South Carolina and Mississippi games and would enter the conference tournament at 7-7, assuming a loss at Tennessee. A .500 record is key, so the Gators would need at least one win - and two would probably make them close to a lock, as they would probably face one of the following: LSU, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky or Auburn. All would give UF one more quality win before Selection Monday.