First free hearing screening sucessful, more to come

Free hearing screenings attracted dozens of people to UF's Speech and Hearing Clinic on Thursday in honor of the American Academy of Audiology's 20th anniversary.

The clinic will offer free screenings on select Thursdays from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. through April at 1405 NW 13th St., Suites B and C.

"We were stunned to see all of the people out there," said Patricia Kricos, a UF communication sciences and disorders professor. "I love it."

A standard hearing screening costs nearly $50, and Kricos said adults should start to get them regularly at age 45.

Patricia Lane, 66, took advantage of the freebie and received the first hearing screening of her life.

"I really came so my husband would get one, too," Lane said. "They said his hearing is fine, so now when he doesn't listen, I know it's selective."

Kricos said she was happy with the turnout. The clinic would bring in more screening machines to accommodate next week's patients, she added.

During the screening, patients respond to tones produced by an electronic machine.

Once the fifteen-minute process is complete, audiologists determine whether a hearing aid is needed and potentially send patients on to a full hearing evaluation, she said.

The free and frequent opportunities for screenings over the next couple months eliminate the excuses of busy schedules and high costs, Kricos said.

"We encourage people to come once and follow up so we can help them get the treatment they need," she said.

For more information, contact the clinic at 273-0542.